- Makes: 6 servings
- Total time: 40 minutes, cook time: 30 minutes, prep time: 10 minutes
Ingredients for the base
- 6-8 cups of water
- For those who don’t want vegan, use 3 boneless chicken breasts, chopped or sliced, or whatever chicken you have in your fridge
- 1.5 cups of red or yellow lentils
- 1-2 cups of chopped spinach or kale
- 1-2 cups of chopped broccoli or cauliflower
- 1.5 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tomato
- Salt to your taste
- Optional: 1-3 habanero, wiri-wiri or chili peppers, omit the pepper if you don’t want it spicy. I use 3 habanero peppers because they’re hotter.
Additional optional ingredients
I’ve used a cup of leftover rice, asparagus, leftover chicken from a restaurant, whatever I need to finish in the fridge. It’s’ hard for me to include these in the recipe because it changes every week. So go crazy with your favorite ingredients!
- If using chicken that’s not a leftover: Use 1 teaspoon of the curry powder, salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon each of the turmeric and cumin to marinate it in a baking dish and set it aside. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Rinse the lentils and set them aside.
- Chop the onion, garlic, tomato and peppers.
- Bring the 6 cups of water to a boil (can be done at the same time you are doing the above steps).
- Add the lentils, onion, garlic, tomato, peppers and olive oil to boiling water.
- Add spices and salt
- Turn the heat down to medium-high and boil lentils for 20 minutes.
- If using chicken: Put it in the oven to cook for 15 minutes or until cooked while the lentils are boiling. If your chicken is already cooked add it in during the next step to warm it up.
- Blend the soup with hand blender to achieve a smooth texture or partially smooth (I find it blends the flavors together better). Return to a low boil and add the spinach and your other ingredients, including chicken if using it, for another 10 minutes.
I let it cool down for five minutes before I eat it.
Chicken: Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
Note: Your nutritional value may differ depending on what you use. When I’m eating it, I usually have 1.5 servings or 1 I’ve thrown rice in it.
- Calories: 301 g
- Fat: 9.2 g
- Carbs: 20 g
- Protein: 34 g
Vegan: Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
Note: Your nutritional value may differ depending on what you use. When I’m eating the vegan version for dinner I usually have 3 servings, or 1.5 if I’ve thrown rice in it.
- Calories: 152 g
- Fat: 6.2 g
- Carbs: 20 g
- Protein: 8 g