1 sweet potato 160 grams
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil 5 mls
1 chopped spring onion 15 grams
1/2 clove Minced Garlic 1.5 grams
60 g tinned red kidney beans
1/4 cup corn kernels fresh or tinned (40 grams)
1/4 tsp chilli powder 0.25 grams
1 tsp lemon juice 5 mls
1/4 diced avocado 30 grams
1) Drain and rinse the beans.
2) Pierce holes in the sweet potato with a fork or skewer. Place in a microwave steamer, with a small amount of water and microwave on high for 7-10 minutes (the time will depend on microwave and size of sweet potato), or until it is lightly tender.
3) Set the sweet potato aside to cool slightly. Once cool to touch, cut in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh so there is only a thin layer of flesh remaining lining the edges. Set aside.
4) Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook until tender. Add beans, corn and chilli powder (feel free to omit for little ones) and cook until warmed through. Add sweet potato flesh and stir through.
5) Divide bean mixture into each sweet potato skin half and serve topped with diced avocado and lemon juice.
Note: if you can’t find a small sweet potato, approximately 160g, then use a larger one and serve one half per person, rather than a whole sweet potato per serve.